Saturday, May 23, 2009

i'm getting there!!!!!!!!!!

Number 3 is DONE!!! I wish that I was better at taking pictures because even though I don't think that I would ever pick this color scheme for myself I really, really like this quilt. It's way better in person. Just wish you could see that!
The back is Denise Schmitz red with the tiny flower. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use my stash of that but I also didn't want to buy any either so I thought I'm using it and not looking back. It's terrible how big my stash is after THREE and 1/2 graduation quilts!! (the fourth quilt was mostly jerseys that's why I said 3 1/2) ;)

I used grey thread to stipple it and really like how the grey looked on the white. This quilt measures 58x85. I got nervous that it was to small and wouldn't fit a twin but then I tried it on my sons bed and it fit. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS!!! I would have cried!!!
I used a solid grey binding and feel like that was nice instead of a print. I'm very happy with this quilt seeing it is definately out of my comfort color choices!! Hope you have a great weekend. I'm quiltin' like crazy around here. I'm getting things done! (and started too):)

15 comments:

  1. Very nice, and what even stippling!

    Mine often has kinks in it instead of smooth loops because the quilt gets snatched somewhere on the machine and then "jumps", sigh. I need more practice...

    Well done!
    Cheers,
    Christine

    cuttingedgequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. your quilting is beautiful...i love the way the gray thread looks. Do you lengthen your machines stitches when you stipple? it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about being hesitant to use things from your stash. Most of the fabric I buy, I buy because I love it. I love making quilts as gifts, but I'm often sad to part with some of my favorite fabrics. But I figure there will always be fabric out there that I "have to have" and if I don't get rid of some of this stuff, I'll never have room for more!!! :) Great quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the choices you have made and its true - the grey somehow makes it great. Planning to use more grey in my quilts (whenever that will be).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful. Your stippling is PERFECT! I wish mine was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too cool! I like the modern colors with the traditional style. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! Congrats and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilts and quilting. have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful! The recipient of this quilt will treasure it, I'm sure. Your quilting (stippling) is amazing! Very well done. I know what you mean about not wanting to use from your stash. My stash looks about like a quilt shop. The other day I was in charge of some table decorations for a celebration at school. I put together some colorful flowers in pint mason jars. I wanted to touch it off with some strips of fabric. I originally thought I would just rip some but when I was looking in my sewing room I noticed my jelly roll of strawberry lemonade by moda from last summer. Very colorful strips to use, I thought. Then I argued with myself about saving it for when I want to make something....it would be easy to use, the size is right, the edges are pinked, no ripping needed. Then I said to myself the same thing you mentioned...why do I have it if I am not going to use it. So I did! I was very happy with it and it saved me quite a bit of time! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!!
    I made a black, white & red one for my Mom. I really enjoyed making it too. I think it's good to stretch our limits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks wonderful, heather! you did a GREAT job working outside your comfort zone. and i'm so glad that it fits a bed, too. phew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This quilt is beautiful. I love the colors together.

    ReplyDelete